On this, the one random day I was actually on Twitter for more than 2 seconds, I was treated to this grilled cheese sandwich, thanks to @alosha7777 and Serious Eats. For some reason, maybe because of the photo (courtesy Serious Eats), I have taken a liking to this sandwich and may eventually make it myself.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 baguette
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 lb extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced fennel bulb (sometimes called anise; quartered lengthwise and cored before slicing)
I am normally not a fan of mayonnaise, even on grilled cheese sandwiches, but the addition of curry really intrigues me. I have used curry once for an Indian inspired grilled cheese and the flavor really worked.
When I devise recipes, I have a hard problem thinking outside the box with ingredients that I have never used. Therefore, I am glad when I find recipes such as this that include ingredients I have never used. In this case, that ingredient is fennel. I know very little about fennel and would love to learn more. Using it in a grilled cheese, would do just that.
Look for me to attempt to create this sandwich in the very near future…